Wednesday 10 April 2013

Downs and ups and soul searching

Well what a roller coaster ride it's been these last couple of years!
Family illness, bereavements and breakdowns, then a couple of new grandchildren and passing exams. All this led to a lot of soul searching.
What makes me happy? What is important in my life?
So, a change was needed.
I had been losing enthusiasm for my beads, jewellery and clay work for some time, it was becoming a chore and with my new "Do what makes me happy" approach I decided to put them aside.
I passed a maths exam and started a city and guilds course because of upheaval at work and I had to think of my future. It was tough going because I have slight dyscalculia, There was a lot of cussing! The C and G course is still going on for another 6 months and it's a hard slog but needed.

When the first new grandchild arrived I wanted to make something special for him and decided on a cot quilt. I so enjoyed making it that I went on a fabric hunt so that I could create more things. Here's Harry on his quilt

.
I made this for Sofie, our son's girlfriend, I drew the elephant for her and made the frame for it.
I've joined a quilting group, we meet once a month and I am a member of an online quilting bee and I have my enthusiasm back again. I've joined the gym, have a new zest for life and I'm looking forward to my 50th birthday in a couple of days.

You can now keep up with my blog on Bloglovin here Follow my blog with Bloglovin I'm a slow blogger though ;)

 Life is what you make it so do what makes you happy.

7 comments:

  1. 50? My goodness you don't look it! Glad to hear you have found your mojo for something crafty, that quilt and frame look fab. I have a son that is both dyslexic and dyscalculi, it is a slog, but with grit and determination you can do it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Laney, I don't feel it either and it's how you feel that matters isn't it? The dyscalculi is a bit rubbish especially in my job, I was on such a high after passing that exam.

      Delete
  2. Live What You Love! Good for you, although I shall miss your beautiful jewellery... as long as I can see a few pretty buttons every now an then, I'll cope xxx
    Might be chatting you up for some quilt-making tips one day too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have clay and no doubt will still make buttons, I couldn't have a life without buttons. I just have to scale back on things right now while this course is going on. Any time Lou :)

      Delete
  3. I makes me very happy to see someone with 'a new zest for life' :) Doing what makes you happy is the most important thing :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like the right decision Nan, life is for doing things you love - when things become a chore, you need to put them aside. Good luck with your course and keep doing what makes you happy - F xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A difficult decision Nan as the beads have been such a big part of your life. However, you need to follow your heart and move onto things that make you happy, without having to think about marketing or selling. I love the new direction you are taking and look forward to seeing how your quilt-work develops. Once a crafter, always a crafter. Much love, Kym xx

    ReplyDelete